Flexible Cogeneration Power Plant for Cutting-Edge Painting Facility: OTTO FUCHS KG Generates Energy with MWM TCG 2020 V12 Gas Engine
Mannheim, March 15, 2022
The international metal processing company OTTO FUCHS KG – the manufacturer of the famous Fuchs wheels – is considered one of the market-leading producers of forged aluminum wheels for cars. For its modern surface center in Meinerzhagen, Germany, which operates under the name OTTO FUCHS Surface Technology GmbH & Co. KG, OTTO FUCHS has invested in a new cogeneration power plant for internal power supply. The cogeneration power plant is driven by an MWM TCG 2020 V12 gas engine with an output of 999 kW and generates about 50 percent of the power required on site.
Flexible Power Plant Cogenerates Heat and Power under Consideration of the Demand of the Factory’s Shifts
The power-controlled MWM TCG 2020 V12 gas engine runs in flex mode, adapted to the factory’s shifts. The energy required for the factory is generated via combined heat and power (CHP) generation. Compared to separate generation by power plants with additional boilers, this form of cogeneration enables energy savings of up to 60 percent. The exhaust heat from the power generation is also used; especially during the cold season, it is utilized for heating the factory. Moreover, process heat is also used for various surface coating processes, e.g. for the pre-treatment and special washing systems.
The cogeneration power plant with the MWM TCG 2020 V12 gas engine runs on natural gas and delivers an electrical output of 999 kW as well as a thermal output of 1,101 kW. With an electrical efficiency of 42 percent and a thermal efficiency of 46.3 percent, the total efficiency of the cogeneration power plant amounts to 88.3 percent. The cogeneration power plant is not the only heat generator for the plant in Grünewald. A natural-gas boiler and the heat recovery system of the compressed-air supply are hydraulically connected to the cogeneration power plant. These individual heat generators are controlled by a central control that the TEM control of the cogeneration power plant is also connected to.
High Customer Satisfaction with MWM Gas Engine in Main Plant Supports Decision for Second Cogeneration Power Plant
Since 2015, OTTO FUCHS has been using a cogeneration power plant with an MWM TCG 2032 V16 gas engine for the energy supply of its main factory. “All our experiences with this MWM engine have been positive, both with regard to the performance and reliability and with regard to the collaboration with Caterpillar Energy Solutions and the MWM Service”, says Paul J. Plikat, head of the “Energy Industry Grünewald” project and co-planner of the new cogeneration power plant. He continues: “For this reason, we again decided to implement a cogeneration power plant with an MWM gas engine.” The flex cogeneration power plant in the Grünewald industrial zone with the MWM TCG 2020 V12 gas engine went live on March 2, 2020. Meanwhile, the annual utilization degree has exceeded 70 percent. Vladimir Giebert, Project Engineer Supply, Factory Planning, and Maintenance, also praises the good cooperation between Caterpillar Energy Solutions and OTTO FUCHS during the project. “As expected, the collaboration was very pleasant and professional. Some minor initial difficulties were resolved in a speedy and competent manner by the MWM Service in collaboration with our maintenance personnel”, explains Giebert.
Reference Case OTTO FUCHS Surface Technology GmbH & Co. KG
- MWM TCG 2020 V12 Gas Engine
- MWM TCG 2032 V16 Gas Engine
- MWM Gas Engines and Power Gensets
- MWM Cogeneration Power Plants
- MWM press release: Trigeneration System for International Manufacturer of Medical Products Fresenius Kabi in Poland: Two MWM TCG 2020 V12 Gas Engines Produce Heat, Power and Cold
- MWM press release: Flex Power Plant for Conrad Energy with 10 MWM TCG 2020 V20 Gas Engines Ensures Grid Stability through Flexible Reserve Balancing Generation
- MWM press release: MWM Distributor Edina Delivers MWM TCG 2020 Gas Engines for Award-Winning Gateshead Energy Centre
- MWM press release: Optimum Use of Autonomous Energy Generation for Greenhouse Horticulture: CHP Plant with MWM TCG 2020 Gas Engines Supplies Tomato Production of Karditsa Gardens S.A. with Thermal Energy