Incredible but true from the world of MWM
MWM looks back on a tradition of more than 140 years, with an omnipresent spirit of innovation. The establishment of the “Mechanische Werkstätte” (Mechanical Workshop) by automobile pioneer Carl Benz in Mannheim in 1871 marked the beginning of the era of gas engines. Over more than a dozen decades, the enthusiasm and innovative drive of engineers have produced an ongoing flow of new developments and contributed to MWM’s current position as one of the leading providers of gas engines and power generators – which are sold from Mannheim to the whole world.
But did you know that…
|… Company founder Carl Benz invented the stationary gas engine in Mannheim in 1878?|
|… MWM moved the Mannheim site to its current location as early as 1886. These days the premises make up around 100,000 square meter?|
|… On 1st August 1888, Carl Benz got the first “driver’s licence” worldwide from the “Großherzoglichen Bezirksamt” (Grand Ducal district office) Mannheim?|
|… around 1900, MWM in Mannheim had the biggest automobile production in the world of its day?|
|… in 1923, the MWM “Motorpferd” had been engineered, thus the first diesel tractor in the world was born. Later on a large number of famous companies sheeted MWM diesel engines?|